Landlord FAQ

The following section is intended to provide answers to the questions that are most frequently asked by our Glasgow Landlord clients.

If you are a Landlord either looking to rent out your Glasgow property with Berisfords or any other letting agent and cannot find the answer to your question about letting a rented property in Glasgow then please contact us and we will make every effort to assist you.

Q What type of Glasgow property is suitable for renting?

A) We are looking for any property that will appeal to our professional and corporate clients. All our properties are thoroughly checked to ensure that they offer our rental clients the highest possible standard of accommodation in the best Glasgow areas. Unfortunately there are no ratings available on rented accommodation unlike the star system given to hotels however we always aim to ensure that our properties provide at least a standard of accommodation equivalent to that provided by a 4 star hotel. If you consider that your property is of an appropriate standard and wish to benefit from the services that we offer then please contact us and we would be delighted to provide you with a no obligation rental assessment of your property.

Q Do you accept all Glasgow properties?
A Unfortunately we reject a large number of properties that are offered to us because they are not of a suitable standard for our corporate and professional clients. This inevitably means that there are areas that we do not consider as well as properties that will be unsuitable if either the finish or furnishings are not to the appropriate standard.
Q Do you accept all Glasgow landlords?
A) Whilst we are delighted to accept you as a prospective client, Glasgow City Council require all landlords and their properties to be assessed on a case by case basis as to whether they are fit and suitable individuals. This is done through the Landlord Registration Scheme which in Glasgow is administered by the Landlord Section of Glasgow City Council. In order to be assessed as being a suitable individual you will be required to make an application to Glasgow City Council and pay the appropriate fee. Please note that there is a fee payable for the registration of both you as a landlord and your property. We can arrange for this process to be carried out for you as part of our management of your property.
Q Can you help me identify what is required to bring my Glasgow properties to an appropriate standard?
A) Yes. Providing that your property is in an area which is suitable for our tenant clients, we provide a no obligation inspection service where we will provide you with advice on what to do to bring your property up to a standard which is suitable for the corporate and professional rental market in Glasgow.
Q I live too far away from the Glasgow property that I own to attend to any works before it is rented out. Can you assist?
A) Yes, providing that the property meets our stringent criteria we would be delighted to identify a schedule of works which would allow the property to be attractive to a corporate or professional tenant. We do not charge for this advice, it is completely free of charge and you are under no obligation to use our services.
Q Can I have an estimate on how much rent I am likely to receive for my property?
A) Yes please complete our online free valuation form and we will provide you with our free rental market appraisal. There is no obligation on your part to use our services.
Q Why do the rental valuations provided by different agents vary so much?
A) As in all property businesses identifying a rental valuation is not an exact science and can be very subjective. Additionally agents may inflate a rental figure to a landlord in order to win your business. When your property attracts little interest and a tenant is not found the agent will encourage you to reduce the rent to a more realistic figure. The problem with this is that your Glasgow rental property is losing you money whilst it remains vacant. Not only are you not receiving any income but you are responsible for Council Tax charges, utility bills etc. We aim to achieve all our landlords with the maximum realistic rental income in the shortest space of time.
Q How can I rely on the valuation you have provided on my Glasgow rental property being accurate?
A) We use comparables on actual rental contract completions not on existing properties which are currently on the market in order to provide as realistic a rental valuation as possible.
Q What are your fees?
A) Please refer to our Service page where our fees are identified. In summary we charge all Landlords a one off Registration Fee and a monthly Management Charge of 10% of the rental income received. There are no other fees or charges for the duration of your business relationship with us.
Q Can I market a rental property myself?
A) Yes. There are a number of online portals which allow you to advertise your Glasgow property for a fixed fee. You will be responsible for all marketing materials and conducting all viewings. You will also be responsible for all maintenance issues which occur in the property for the duration of any tenancy.
Q How do I instruct you to market my Glasgow rental property on my behalf?
A) Please simply complete the Sole Agency Agreement which can be found here.
Q Is there any fees payable upfront?
A) We do not ask you to pay any fee before we find you a tenant who has paid their deposit and first month’s rent.
Q What is the purpose of the Sole Agency Agreement?
A) The purpose of the Sole Agency Agreement is to confirm the contractual relationship between you as landlord and us as letting agent in respect of the marketing and management of your Glasgow rental property. We require you to commit to us as your sole agent in respect of advertising and marketing. This allows us to not charge you any subsequent fees in any respect (other than the monthly commission) after you have paid the Registration Fee.
Q Why do other letting agents have so many property management charges?
A) Frequent and recurring management charges are unfortunately the norm in the letting agency business. Berisfords were created by landlords who were no longer willing to accept the unreasonable and excessive charges levied on their properties and decided to create their own agency which treated landlords fairly. By keeping your costs down we hope that you will become financially successful so that you can invest in more property for us to manage.
Q How long will it take to let out my Glasgow property?
A) The length of time it will take us to secure a tenant for you will depend on the time of year that the property is marketed combined with the location, size of the property and the amount of rent that you are looking to achieve.

Generally most properties will take between 20-60 days on average to let and you should ensure that you allow for all costs involved in your property being vacant for this length of time. Obviously if the market decides that the level of rent is too high then your property will take longer to rent out.

The length of time that a property is on the market will also depend on the number of people that your Glasgow rental property will attract. A 5 bedroom house in Dowanhill will be affordable to a much smaller pool of potential renters than a 1 bed apartment in the Merchant City and so will generally take longer to attract a tenant.

Q Are there good and bad times of the year to rent out a property in Glasgow?
A) Rental demand for property in Glasgow is highest in August and September where the huge shortage of good quality student accommodation greatly increases demand and shortens supply throughout all sectors of Glasgow’s rented accommodation.

This is true of Berisfords who need accommodation to cater for mature students, University staff such as professors, doctors etc as well as students whose parents or guardians act as guarantors. Rental demand for property in Glasgow in general is very low for the last 2-3 weeks in December in the run up to Christmas as people “nest in” for the Festive period. November and January are also generally slow as a rule.

Q Can I have the final say on who you let the property to?
A) Yes. You as the landlord of the property are entitled to enter into a contract with whoever you decide is most suitable notwithstanding any discrimination laws and other common laws which obviously apply.

A Tenancy agreement is a contractually binding between you as landlord and the prospective tenant. Our role in the whole process is to manage the property and administer the terms of the contract between both parties. When someone shows an interest in your property we will advise you of their particular circumstances, preferred rental term etc in order for you to make a value judgement on whether you are happy to proceed. It is only when we receive your authority to proceed that we will commence to take your prospective tenant through the Reservation process.

Q How do you ensure that a prospective tenant will discharge their obligations in respect of the tenancy agreement in terms of paying rent and looking after my property?
A) All prospective tenants are required to complete a full application form which will provide us with enough information to assess their suitability for the tenancy in question. Every prospective tenant will undergo a full Credit Check to ensure that they have an acceptable credit rating. In addition we will take personal character references which will be checked.
Q How long does the Tenant Credit Check process generally take?
A) A comprehensive Credit Check on a potential tenant normally take 2-3 days to organise however they can be carried out more quickly by prior agreement.
Q Who provides a tenant with a suitable reference?
A) Suitable references are generally from their employer, accountant, bank manager, existing landlord etc.
Q What references are required for Company or Corporate lets?
A) If a tenant represents a FTSE quoted company, Utility or other similar nationally recognised organisation then a letter confirming the purpose of the proposed let from a suitably senior Director etc is normally sufficient. We will still contact the stated individual directly in order that the accuracy of the application can be verified.
Q What references do you require from self employed contractors?
A) If an applicant is self employed then we generally require the same level of information as provided by an Individual let. We will accept references from a third party supplier or client providing said company is established.
Q What happens once both the prospective tenant’s references and credit checks have been confirmed as suitable?
A) We will contact send you to confirm that the referencing stage of the process has been completed and advise you if there are any outstanding issues. (Such as a marginal credit score). We will then check to ensure that you are happy for us to proceed with the subsequent paperwork.
Q What happens if a prospective tenant’s application is rejected?
A) If we discover that a tenant’s credit rating is insufficient then we will advise you immediately. We will the prospective tenant a number of alternatives to address the problem such as the payment of the rent in advance, or setting up a guarantor on your account to cover any possible short falls or potential breaches in the tenancy agreement. This will obviously be agreed with you prior to discussing with the potential tenant.
Q What is a guarantor?
A) A guarantor is someone who will undertake to pay any rent to us in the event that you default on your obligations in respect of the Tenancy agreement. In order for a guarantor to be considered appropriate the guarantor must submit to a credit check and subsequently enter into a legal agreement which guarantees that they will pay for any failure on your part in terms of paying rent, looking after the property etc.
Q What is the minimum period that a tenant can rent a property for?
A) The minimum legal period of a Short Assured Tenancy in Scotland is 6 months. Generally most landlords will require a minimum tenancy of one year in that you will benefit from no voids and reduced costs associated with having your Glasgow property vacant.
Q What is the maximum period that a tenant can rent a property for?
A) There is no legal maximum period of a Short Assured Tenancy in Scotland. Generally we suggest that a maximum tenancy of two years is allowed. It is important that you check the terms of your mortgage agreement to ensure that a period in excess of one year is permissible.
Q What is Form AT5?
A) Form AT5 is a legal Notice issued under Section 32 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1988 to a tenant to ensure that they are aware that the proposed Tenancy agreement that they will be entering into is a Short Assured Tenancy as defined by Act.
Q What is a Short Assured Tenancy?
A) Nearly all tenancy agreements signed in Glasgow and today are Short Assured Tenancies. Short Assured Tenancies were created for the benefit of both landlords and tenants; they afford the owner of the property the right to gain possession of the property at the end of the tenancy providing a valid Notice to Quit is served on the tenant.
Q What happens after the Form AT5 has been returned?
A) We need to have a completed copy of the Form AT5 before we can create the SAT agreement. Once a tenant has returned From AT5 to us we can then agree a suitable move in date. We can also prepare the SAT agreement, prepare the inventory etc on the property and make the final preparations, checks on the property prior to the tenant’s entry date.
Q What happens if I have a change of circumstances prior to moving in to the property and cannot proceed to rent the property out?
A) If anything changes once you have committed to renting a property, please notify us immediately in writing. We will obviously have to reimburse the prospective tenant and cancel the marketing.

Your Registration Fee will be used to reimburse us for the time spent in preparing the relevant documentation in these circumstances. (Please note that this is a stated condition of the Registration Form).

Q What happens to a tenant if the landlord has a change of circumstances prior to moving in to the property and he cannot proceed?
A) If anything changes once a tenant has reserved a property which prevents us from allowing them renting the property then we will obviously notify the tenant immediately in writing. The tenant’s deposit will be returned in full in these circumstances.
Q What do I do if there is an aspect of the Agency agreement that I am unhappy with?
A) If you are unhappy with any aspect of any legal agreement which we ask you to sign then please contact us in the first instance and we will do our utmost to resolve the issue to our mutual satisfaction. Please be sure to contact us about any aspect of the contract that you are unhappy with prior to signing the lease as it will be much more difficult to resolve once you have signed.
Q Do I need to take legal advice on any aspect of the Agency Agreement?
A) Whilst we consider that our agreement is relatively straightforward, we recommend that you consult a solicitor if you are in any doubt as to any aspect of the agreement which we ask you to enter into.
Q When will I receive my first month’s rental income?
A) We endeavour to forward you cleared funds as soon as they are received into our account. Under no circumstances will the rent be delayed by a period of greater than five working days.
Q How do you pay the funds to me?
A) The preferred method of payment is by direct bank transfer into your nominated account. This ensures that monies are received by you the same day that they are released.
Q What happens with the Tenancy Deposit?
A) All agents will require a deposit of between 4 to 6 weeks rent which will be held for the duration of the tenancy. The deposit is held to ensure that the tenant meets all the various obligations required of them as identified in the tenancy agreement – generally relating to the cleanliness and condition of the property, the regular payment of rent etc.

The relevant clauses in the tenancy agreement should set out who is to hold the deposit (e.g. agent or landlord), whether interest is to be paid or not, what the deposit can be allocated for and the end of tenancy procedures and timescales for its refund.

The best way for a tenancy deposit or bond to be held during the tenancy is by the letting agent as “stakeholder” between the parties (landlord and tenant). This means that at the end of the tenancy the agent should get the agreement of both sides before making any deductions for damage, cleaning etc.

All Client deposits are placed into our Client’s Account with RBS and not given over to the Landlord in accordance with our obligations as stakeholder.

Q What happens at the handover of the property?
A) We will meet the tenant at the property at the allocated time. We will hand over completed copies of the SAT agreement and inventory to the tenant. We will go over the property to ensure that the tenant is satisfied with the condition and that everything is in full working order.

The tenant will be supplied with all relevant paperwork for the property together with one set of keys per adult on the lease (to a maximum of 2 copies by mutual agreement in writing).

We will agree meter readings for gas and electricity. If there are any issues with any aspect of the property we will agree a suitable resolution and time frame for same.

Q How does the tenant pay the rent due on the property?
A) The tenant is given a Standing Order mandate for them to complete and return to their bank. The tenant is requested to ensure that they check the week before payment is due that their bank has received the mandate and that they are in a position to make the payment on time.
Q Who is responsible for paying the TV licence in my rented Glasgow property?
A) If a television is provided in a rented Glasgow property then it is the tenant’s responsibility to pay for the licence for the duration of their tenancy agreement.

In Scotland and the rest of the UK, a TV licence is assigned to an individual thereby affording that person together with their respective household the right to watch television in their stated residence.

Q Who is responsible for paying Glasgow City Council Tax?
A) When a property is occupied, it is the person living in the property who is responsible for paying Council Tax. Council tax is a tax raised by local councils such as Glasgow for the provision of local services and infrastructure and as such it is the responsibility of the person benefiting from these services who is legally obliged to pay for them.

When your rental property is empty it is your responsibility as the owner of the property to pay any charges due in respect of Council Tax.

Q Are discounts or exemptions available from Glasgow City Council?
A) Whilst Glasgow City Council can grant discounts or exemptions under certain circumstances these are at the entire discretion of the local authority and are considered on a case by case basis. If you consider that you may be eligible for a discount then you should contact Glasgow City Council directly to discuss.
Q Who is responsible for paying Utility bills for gas and electricity?
A) A tenant is responsible for paying all charges in respect of gas and electricity for the duration of their tenancy agreement. Meter readings will be taken on handover of the property to the tenant and the tenant is therefore obliged to set up their own accounts with their desired suppliers.
Q What are HMO regulations?
A) HMO or Houses in Multiple Occupation are properties which are shared in common by 3 or more unrelated individuals.

Where this occurs a property must comply with the particular HMO requirements of the local authority who insist on more stringent Fire and Safety installations than exist in standard rented accommodation. More details can be found on Glasgow City Council’s website here.

Q What are the implications attached to a property with an HMO?
A) A legally compliant HMO must have a current and valid certificate from Glasgow City Council and this must be displayed at a prominent position within the property.

As Berisfords do not operate or deal with properties in multiple occupation it will not be legally possible for them to consider varying the terms of the tenancy agreement to incorporate 3 or more unrelated sharers.

Q Can a tenant alter my property in any way without my consent?
A) Any property alterations including any redecorating works must be carried out with the landlord’s consent even if it relates to painting, redecoration or hanging shelves.

All our tenant clients are requested to contact Berisfords in the first instance before carrying out any work in order to obtain the landlords consent.

Q Do you rent properties to DSS tenants?
A) We do not discriminate in respect of any individual or group and all prospective tenants will be assessed in accordance with current legislation. As in all cases, the prospective tenant will still be required to demonstrate that they have the ability to pay the monthly rent due on the property and discharge their legal obligations identified in the Tenancy agreement.

Q Do you rent properties to students?
A) We do not discriminate in respect of any individual or group and all lets will be assessed in accordance with current legislation. As in all cases the prospective tenant will still be required to demonstrate that they have the ability to pay the monthly rent due on the property and discharge their legal obligations identified in the Tenancy agreement.

Q Do you rent properties to people with disabilities?
A) We do not discriminate in respect of any individual or group and all lets will be assessed in accordance with current legislation. We encourage our landlords to make all reasonable adjustments where properties are suitable for wheelchair users or visually impaired. There is a severe shortage of suitable accommodation in Glasgow which caters for wheelchair users and we are keen to address this shortcoming wherever possible.
Q Who is responsible for insurance?
A) Generally speaking it is the responsibility of the owner of the property, fixture or fitting to insure it. Both Landlords and tenants should carefully review any policy which they have prior to committing to renting a property for the first time.

Most standard insurance policies have exclusions which will invalidate a claim where it involves a property which is being let without their insurer’s knowledge or consent. It is vital that you have an insurance policy in place which provides sufficient cover for both the relevant possessions and reinstatement value of your property.

It is a landlord’s responsibility to insure the building and his/her contents, fixtures and fittings. Tenants are responsible for insuring their own possessions in the rented property. There are many specialist insurance products tailored to both landlords and tenants and their rented property. Unfortunately we are unable to offer any advice on specific products as we are not authorised or regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).

Q What does the phrase “Joint and several” mean?
A) Generally speaking where there is more than one person named on a tenancy agreement, each person will have “joint and several” liability for discharging the obligations identified within the tenancy agreement.

This means that if there is a default such as damage or outstanding debt then both tenants are responsible for the full amount of the default regardless of who is at fault. The landlord is therefore entitled to pursue either party for the full recovery of any losses.

Q What is a break clause?
A) A break clause is a clause that allows the tenancy agreement to be broken or terminated by either party at a specified date earlier than the end date stated on the tenancy agreement by providing two month’s notice in writing.

The timing of the break clause and the inclusion of this provision is subject to agreement of both parties and is generally 6 months in tenancy agreement which is one year or longer. A 3 month break clause in a 6 month tenancy can sometimes be negotiated between the parties under special circumstances.

Q How often can the rent be raised?
A) The rent on a property can only be raised every year, normally at the end of an annual tenancy agreement. A tenant will generally be contacted either by telephone or in writing to identify whether or not a new tenancy agreement is required.
Q What are the rules regarding the rights of a landlord to access their property?
A) A landlord or agent acting on his behalf has the legal right to enter a property to ensure that the property is being maintained and to check on the general condition or to access the property for any necessary repairs. The Landlord must provide at least 24 hours notice in writing to the tenant that he intends to access the property.

Obviously if both parties are in agreement over access then this timescale is not necessary. (For example if access is required for any emergency repair).

Q What happens at the end of the tenancy period stated in the Tenancy Agreement?
A) Scottish law does not presume that a lease automatically expires at the specified termination date; instead, the presumption is that if neither the landlord nor the tenant has intimated a desire to terminate, by sending the other a notice to quit; both parties wish the lease to continue, and it is therefore automatically extended until formally terminated by either party.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Berisfords require 2 months advance notice in writing from all tenants if it is there intention to vacate a property. This is stated within the Short Assured Tenancy Agreement which is signed by both tenant and agent.

Q How is a tenancy terminated by the landlord or managing agent?
A) A Scottish tenancy is terminated by a managing agent or landlord by serving the tenant with the relevant Notices a minimum of 2 months in advance in writing. These notices are a Notice to Quit, An AT6 Form and a Section 33 Notice.
Q How is a tenancy terminated by a tenant?
A) A Scottish tenancy is terminated by a tenant by serving the landlord or managing agent with formal Notice to Quit in writing a minimum of two months in advance of their intended departure date. The intended departure date must be either the date of the end of the tenancy agreement or later.
Q What happens with any mail that is sent to me at my rental property in Glasgow?
A) You should arrange for your Mail to be redirected to your new address using the Royal Mail redirection service. It is not a tenant’s responsibility to forward any mail that they receive to you.
Q Are tenants entitled to know my name and address as their landlord?
A) Yes tenants are entitled to know the name and address of their landlords. It is a criminal offence for any letting agent to fail to provide this information within 21 days of a formal request in writing from a tenant without reasonable excuse.

Q What happens if a tenant does not move out after the end of the tenancy?
A) We would always contact the tenant initially to identify if there is a valid reason why the property has not been vacated once the end of the term has been reached and no extension has been negotiated or agreed. If there is no valid reason then it will be necessary to apply to the courts to gain possession of the property.
Q What is a Section 11 Notice?
A) From April 1st 2009 all Glasgow landlords and agents have a new duty under Section 11 of the Homelessness etc (Scotland) Act 2003 to notify Glasgow City Council when they raise legal proceedings for the possession of a property. Notification of Section 11 must be sent in writing to Glasgow City Council. This Form may be used when notifying the Council.
Q What is the purpose of contacting the Council when attempting to repossess a property?
A) The purpose of notifying Glasgow City Council is to allow an early intervention in the matter which will hopefully result in a resolution of the situation for any person or family who are at risk from being made homeless.
Q What are the Repairing Standards?
A) The Repairing Standard under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 came into effect on 3rd September 2007. The act puts together in one place the obligations of a landlord for ensuring that their property meets the standards defined within the act at the start of and for the duration of the tenancy. Either at the start of the tenancy or earlier (and before the tenancy is signed) the landlord is obliged to notify the tenant about the effect of the Repairing Standard and Private Rented Housing Panel arrangements on the tenancy. This is usually done by the issue of a Standard Letter which can be found in the download section of this website.
Q What is covered by The Repairing Standards (Scotland) Act?

A) The Act confirms the following requirements:
• the house is wind and water tight and reasonably fit for human habitation (taking account of the extent to which the house falls short of any building regulations, because of disrepair or sanitary defects);
• the structure and exterior of the house (including drains, gutters and external pipes) are in reasonable repair and proper working order (having regard to the house’s age, character and prospective life and the locality). Where the house forms part of premises (eg, a flat), this criterion includes any part of the premises that the owner is responsible for maintaining, solely or communally, but the Repairing Standard only applies if any part of, or anything in, the premises that the tenant is entitled to use is adversely affected;
• the installations in the house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation, space heating and heating water are in reasonable repair and proper working order (including installations outside the house but serving it, and which the owner is responsible for maintaining, solely or communally);
• any fixtures, fittings and appliances provided under the tenancy are in reasonable repair and proper working order;
• any furnishings provided under the tenancy are capable of being used safely for the purpose for which they are designed; and
• there is satisfactory provision for detecting and giving warning of fires.

Q What is a Notice to Quit?
A) A Notice to Quit (NTQ) is a written document served by either a managing agent or landlord on a tenant or by the tenant on a landlord, which has the effect of bringing the contractual tenancy between them to an end.

In order for a NTQ served by a landlord to be valid it must contain specific information otherwise it will be invalid and the tenancy will not be ended until a valid NTQ is served. A valid NTQ must comply with the following:
• Be in writing,
• Give a period of notice after which it will become effective,
• Make it clear that, even after the period of notice given has run out, the landlord must get an order for possession from a court before the tenant can lawfully be evicted,
• Explain that the effect of NTQ is that the contractual assured tenancy will be brought to an end at the end of the period specified in the notice but that it will at once be replaced by a statutory assured tenancy, and that the landlord will be able to propose new terns for the tenancy or a different rent, or both.

Q What is the minimum notice period for a Notice to Quit?
A) The minimum Notice period for a Notice to Quit is identified in the Sheriff Courts (Scotland) Act 1907 (ss34-38) and is 40 days for any agreement exceeding 4 months.
Q What is a Section 33 Notice?
A) In order to terminate a tenancy agreement in Scotland, the managing agent or landlord is required to serve a Notice to Quit, An AT6 Form and a Section 33 Notice in writing to the tenant.

Section 33 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1988 sets out a specific procedure which will enable recovery of possession of a property which has been let under a Short Assured Tenancy. Whilst there is no standard format required for a Section 33 Notice, the issuing of a written notice is required in terms of this section telling a tenant that the landlord wishes to recover possession of the property.

Q What is the minimum notice period for issuing a Section 33 Notice?
A) The minimum notice period required for a Section 33 notice is two months.
Q What is AT6?
A) An AT6 Notice of Proceedings Form is a Notice to the tenant to confirm that you intend to take legal proceedings to recover the property if it is not vacated by the end of the tenancy period. In order to terminate a tenancy agreement in Scotland the landlord is required to serve a Notice to Quit, An AT6 Form and a Section 33 Notice.
Q What is a Portable Appliance Test?
A) A Portable Appliance Test is a safety test carried out by a suitably qualified electrician on all portable electrical equipment within a property to ensure that the equipment is safe for use.

Q What is the definition of a Portable Appliance?
A) The National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (NAPIT) define a portable appliance as ‘any electrical item which can or is intended, to be moved whilst connected to an electrical supply.’

The IEE Code of Practice gives additional guidance on the various equipment types:

“Portable appliance: An appliance of less than 18kg in mass that is intended to be moved whilst in operation or an appliance which can easily be moved from one place to another, e.g. vacuum cleaner, toaster, food mixer, etc.”

Q How long is a portable appliance Test valid for?
A) A Portable Appliance Test is valid for a period of one year.
Q What is an EPC?
A) An Energy Performance Certificate is a Certificate which demonstrates the energy efficiency of a property to a prospective tenant. The EPC should be displayed somewhere in the property for the duration of the tenancy.
Q How long does an EPC last for?
A) An EPC is valid for a period of ten years.

Q What is meant by a “furnished” property?
A) There is no legal definition of the word “furnished” in relation to renting a property. The landlord can therefore use his discretion in furnishing a rented property. Generally speaking, a fully furnished property will have sofas, chairs, side tables in the living room, dining tables and chairs in the dining area, and beds, mattresses, wardrobes and a chest of drawers in the bedrooms. It will also include essentials required to cook, clean, wash etc in the property such as iron, ironing board, mop and bucket, vacuum cleaner, brushes.
A furnished property may not have linen or crockery or may not include a television, DVD player etc. Obviously the quality and quantity of each item can vary from property to property.

Where additional items of furniture are required by a tenant, or when a tenant requires items of furniture to be removed (where for example a tenant wishes to use his own bed or settee etc.), then this will be discussed with the landlord and agreement obtained in writing from both partiest.

A landlord is under no legal obligation to alter any aspect of furniture or furnishings except where it is no longer fit and suitable for its intended purpose.